Some organisations, books and articles on character education that we’ve found useful.
- The Jubilee Centre for Character and Virtues – a pioneering interdisciplinary research centre focusing on character, virtues and values in the interest of human flourishing. The centre promotes a moral concept of character.
- SkillForce - SkillForce is a national education charity which believes that a clear set of positive moral values is essential to young people developing a strong sense of self. This charity, for which Prince William is the Royal Patron, nurtures the virtues of courage and compassion in young people.
- KIPP Public Charter Schools – a network of free, open-enrollment public schools in the US that operates in under-served communities and delivers rigorous academic and character education.
- The Character Education Partnership – an advocate and leader for the character education movement and accredits a network of US schools which explicitly promote character education in their pupils.
- The University of Pennsylvania – the Positive Psychology Center at the University promotes research, training, education, and the dissemination of positive psychological ideas and practices.
- Character Lab – a new non-profit organisation that bridges the worlds of psychological research and school-age education practice in order to help pupils learn and flourish.
- Mindfulness in Schools – a non-for profit organisation whose aim is to encourage, support and research the teaching of mindfulness in schools.
- VIA Institute of Character – a non-profit that empowers people, worldwide, with knowledge of their unique character strengths so that they can live their best lives.
Character Education in Schools:
- Oakthorpe Primary School, Leicestershire - the first school in the Oval Learning Trust and one of the UK's leading Character Schools.
- Shaldon Primary School, Devon - One of the UK's leading Character Schools, with a keen focus on character virtues.
- Greenwich Free School – a secondary school which regularly provides pupils with opportunities to enrich their ‘cultural capital’ beyond the academic curriculum.
- Wellington College, Berkshire – a secondary independent school that has pioneered positive education and developing intelligence within the 8 Aptitudes.
- Olivier House and The Laurels School – Catholic independent schools in South London that aim to cultivate the virtues in their pupils through character development.
- West Kidlington School, Oxfordshire – a primary school which has been at the forefront of developing value-based education.
- Kings Langley – a Hertfordshire based secondary school that focuses on building a moral foundation for its students.
- Kehelland School – a primary school based in Cornwall that helps children to develop kindness, honesty and creativity through their ‘Virtues Project’.